Monday, April 13, 2009

The Different Ways of Entertaining Ourselves

Holidays have started and people are going to their native places. They are thinking of entertaining themselves. What will they do? Well, most likely, play and watch TV. But that's not me. I'd rather read. Or write.

Which brings to me a question: what is it that makes so very different? I mean, you can't find an identical person to match your exact interests, your exact likes and dislikes, etc. It's a different world. For example, one person may prefer stamp collecting as his/her hobby. Personally I can't stand the thing myself - no offence to those who do, though! I am aware however, that in the majority, young children of ages 8-15 seek to play. Even in that, there is a lot of diversity. Someone may like cricket (again, I think it's quite boring to watch the matches, but yes, it's just me.) Recently I have noticed a craze for football. Well, for me, that's a slightly better sport, even though I'm rubbish at it (much better than some of the others though: some don't even know the rules! Ever watched a match?). Two years earlier it was cricket. It's always changing - at least for boys. Girls in my school like badminton most, I should think. But some may prefer skipping or others. Wow - a lot of subcategories!

Watching T.V. shows - even in that there is a lot of differentiation: even though that most like to watch cartoons! But that's not me, personally I don't care for television, even though if sometimes I'm bored I switch it on and see if anything other than crap is showing. Sometimes I view Discovery Channel. But more often that, the television remains mostly ignored by me. Yes sir, I like to be different!

And now we come to my favourite hobby - reading. Yes, I know that you will know that I'm going to say that there is a lot of diversity even in that. (Wow: a confusing sentence! Try to read it very fast.) Some prefer to read short stories, some plays, some novels, and some... some nothing (oh yes, the majority is in that. Very sad to say that.) Me? I think I read pretty much everything. I like adventure, mystery and fantasy genres - but I can't stand SF, horror or anything else. That's me.

Writing? Well, in children, this is NOT a hobby. This is what they'll say, the stupid ones with a blank face and the cleverer ones with an angry one. But I think, with my ambition being a part-time writer (at least one who has a bestseller published: whoops!), writing has become a hobby for me. It doesn't matter what type. Creative, non-creative (I think there is a term for that but I don't know it I'm afraid): anything. I like typing on the keyboard: a very great feeling.

Other hobbies like gardening, photography (both unknown to me: the former because I don't have a garden and the latter because of a personal preference)etc. fill up the lot.

That quite sums it up. If YOUR hobby isn't in here, don't worry - this is just a beginner! How different are we all? The answer to that remains unknown, or if I've got my facts wrong, topic will be expanded by someone else.

Enough for now: I hope you were not bored my ramblings!

No comments:

Post a Comment